Age Ages 8-10
Duration 1 hour
Eastern North Carolina is home to some of the densest fossil soils around.
In this session, youth will learn where and how to find them as well as identify some of the many species that can be found. Youth will explore different types of fossils and take a dive deep into shark teeth specifically. The session instructor will share his personal fossil collection to show and tell what he’s found over the last ten years.
This session aligns with the following NC teaching standards for grades 3, 4, and 5.
- Science 3.P.2 Understand the structure and properties of matter before and after they undergo a change.
- Language Arts RI.3.1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate an understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
- Language Arts RI.3.2 Determine the main idea of a text; recount the key details and explain how they support the main idea.
- Language Arts RI.3.4 Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 3 topic or subject area.
- Language Arts RI.3.6 Distinguish their own point of view from that of the author of a text.
- Language Arts RI.3.7 Use information gained from illustrations (e.g., maps, photographs) and the words in a text to demonstrate an understanding of the text (e.g., where, when, why, and how key events occur).
- Science 4.P.2 Understand the composition and properties of matter before and after they undergo a change or interaction.
- Science 4.E.2 Understand the use of fossils and changes in the surface of the earth as evidence of the history of Earth and its changing life forms.
- Language Arts RI.4.7 Interpret information presented visually, orally, or quantitatively
and explainhow the information contributes to an understanding of the text in which it appears
- Language Arts RI.4.4 Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words or phrases in a text relevant to a grade 4 topic or subject area
- Language Arts RF.4.4 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words
- Language Arts L.4.4 Determine and/or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 4 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies: context clues, word parts, word relationships, and reference materials
- Language Arts L.4.6 Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases, including those that signal precise actions, emotions, or states of being and that are basic to a particular topic
- Science 5.P.2 Understand the interactions of matter and energy and the changes that occur.
- Language Arts RI.5.2 Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
- Language Arts RI.5.4 Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.